At first glance, setting up your Synology device may seem like a daunting task. However, Synology has a tool you can use called Synology Assistant that will help you easily connect your home devices to your Synology machine.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about the Synology Assistant.
What is the Synology Assistant?
Synology Assistant is a computer tool that searches for local area networks (LAN) to serve and manage the Synology NAS device. It helps to gain access to its file-sharing center within the system’s server. You can download the Assistant from the web or simply through this link provided here.
What does Synology Assistant do?
Think of Synology Assistant as your connection to Synology NAS. It has a direct line to the company’s distributed shared memory (DSM) web management interface via LAN.
The Synology Assistant desktop icon can be downloaded from your web browser. It is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
How to find the Synology Assistant for your OS
There are several avenues to find Synology Assistant for your OS. First, type the name into the address bar of your web browser.
If the Synology Assistant computer icon appears on your screen, then open it up. If Synology Assistant is not installed on your computer, then head over to the utility tab and download it onto your desktop.
The process is simple to follow.
How to download the Synology Assistant for use on your computer/laptop
The best location to download Synology Assistant is in your web browser:
- Go to Synology Download Center at find.synology.com.
- Open the Desktop utility tab to download and install the Synology Assistant icon.
- Click on Synology Assistant after it has been installed. It will begin searching for all available Synology NAS devices on your LAN.
- Once it has found your device, the status should read as “not installed” on your computer screen.
- Double-click on the message. Read and accept the Synology End User Agreement.
- Click all boxes to confirm your current status. The web browser should automatically open to Synology Assistant.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the download process.
Steps on how to install Synology Assistant
Here are the instructions to begin the installation process of Synology Assistant:
- Go to the company’s (find.synology.com) website.
- Click on the select product type icon, which will open a dropdown menu of options to select.
- Select NAS from the menu, then click on the “select your Synology product” option. It will help you locate your Synology NAS device.
- Type in the model number of the device. It will provide all available downloads that can be accessed by your computer device.
- Head over to the Desktop utility tab to locate the Synology Assistant icon.
- Click on and install as there are options for Windows, Mac, and other web browsers.
How to use the Synology Assistant?
It is a simple process to use Synology Assistant. All users want to have remote access to their servers. Here are the steps:
- Set the Wake On Local Area Network (WOL) function on your Synology NAS device.
- Before connecting to Synology Assistant, make sure to enable LAN in the DSM control panel.
- On the Management tab, select Synology NAS, then click to set up WOL.
- Alert your server, turn on the Synology NAS device by clicking the “OK” message.
- Shortly after, you will be alerted that you’re ready to use Synology Assistant.
What are the features and benefits of Synology Assistant?
There are several features and benefits gained from using Synology Assistant.
The app is versatile and suitable to meet all local area network requirements. It provides all the functional needs of small or medium-sized businesses.
Synology Assistant is easy to navigate through and fills out requests without much delay. It provides a smooth transition between synchronization and backing up files.
Plus, Synology Assistant offers an easier method to share documents with co-workers, clients, and others.
Are there any cons to using Synology Assistant?
Sometimes, you may have connection issues when trying to access Synology Assistant on your computer.
It is wise to check the availability of the local area network. In some cases, you may have to reboot the entire system before the server is up and running.
Some users prefer the desktop icon over the mobile app. It provides a cleaner, more accessible version of the files requested.
Can I still use my Synology device without the Synology Assistant?
You should have no trouble connecting to your Synology NAS device without the assistance of a Synology Assistant.
It is important to remember that NAS is an acronym for network-attached storage.
Before starting the process, make sure to have a good Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection. This will help to gain access to a private IP address. It will assist with connecting to a network drive.
The IP address will appear in the drive list of your computer. Click on it. You will connect your web browser to the Synology NAS device. Once you receive confirmation, then you can begin working.
Is using the Synology Assistant safe?
No question, there has been a rise in cybercrime.
It is smart to protect yourself by making Synology Assistant safe to use. You want to set a unique password for your account that is familiar to you alone.
In the overall setup, it is wise to disable the system default admin account. It will remove any threat of hackers infiltrating your files.
Also, stay up to date with all the system’s periodic updates. It will maintain a good performance level and remove all potential security risks.
Other interesting articles: